•       和《小巷》一样,都是写那个年代的人,充满理想又全无去处的状态。周围是黑的,眼睛也是黑的,可是谁又不渴望光明呢?那“一代人”,社会没有给他们机会,连自己是组成那个社会的一部分,外因内因,双重限制。这首诗也只是描述了那个状态,走出诗的国度,面对现实,又还是束手无策。所以说“艺术家提出问题,政治家解决问题”呢!

    Title: 一代人 Poet: 顾城 Year: 1979


    一代人 This Generation

    黑夜给了我黑色的眼睛 Dark fated my eyes black
    我却用它寻找光明 With which I seek for the bright

  •       1980年,大病初愈万物复苏。许多人的理想和梦,睡了好久以后怯生生地醒来。他们怀揣着那把古旧的钥匙,去叩周遭的厚墙,但哪儿也没有门,哪儿也没有窗。抬头一看那狭窄的小径,一样的,又弯又长。

          今天的青年,是不是有钥匙又有门和窗?

    Title: 小巷 Poet: 顾城 Year: 1980


    小巷 The Alley

    小巷 The endless, winding
    又弯又长 Alley

    没有门 No way out
    没有窗 Nor window

    我拿把旧钥匙 With a rusty key
    敲着厚厚的墙 I knock on the thick walls

     

  •       断臂山的原著小说,上美国文学的时候写的评论就是这部,也是认真读过英文原著和中文翻译之后完成的作业,老师的评语让我很欣慰——“Original work” 。下面是小说中最喜欢的两段,试着翻译了,也是以前译的,现在贴到这里。

          There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.
          他强装相信的并非事情的全部,对此他深谙于心,却束手无策。正如真相本身,令人无计可施,只堪承受。

          What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.
          杰克依然无法自禁、难以理解地眷恋和渴望着那个遥远的夏天,在断臂山,厄尼斯从身后拽他入怀,那无声的拥抱是一种慰藉,于相似的心灵,它不关乎性。

  •       以前翻译的。喜欢最后一句的双关,英语poor的双重意义:贫穷&可怜。

          One day, the father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to the country with the express purpose of showing  him how poor people live.
          一天,一位非常富有的父亲带他的儿子来到乡下,想让儿子看看穷人过着什么样的生活。

          They spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be considered a very poor family.
          他们找到一户非常贫寒的人家,在农场里借住了一些天。

          On their return from their trip, the father asked his son, "How was the trip?"
          在回城的时候,父亲问儿子:“这次旅行怎么样?”

          "It was great, Dad."
          “非常有意义,爸爸。”

          "Did you see how poor people live?" the father asked.
          “你了解穷人的生活是怎样的了吗?”父亲问。

          "Oh yeah," said the son.
          “是的。”儿子回答

          "So, tell me, what did you learn from the trip?" asked the father.
          “那么,告诉我,你从这次旅行中学到些什么了吗?”父亲又问。

          The son answered:
          儿子回答说:

          "I saw that we have one dog and they had four.
          “我看到,我们有一条狗,而他们有四条。

          We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that has no end.
          我们的池塘在花园的中央,而他们的小溪流向远方。

          We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars at night.
          我们的花园挂着进口灯盏,他们的夜晚拥有灿烂群星。

          Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole horizon.
          我们的天井延伸到前院,他们却怀抱整个天地。

          We have a small piece of land to live on and they have fields that go beyond our sight.
          我们的房子占据一小块地,他们却拥有无垠的田野。

          We have servants who serve us, but they serve others.
          我们被仆人服务,他们为他人服务。

          We buy our food, but they grow theirs.
          我们购买食物,他们亲手耕耘。

          We have walls around our property to protect us, they have friends to protect them."
          我们的财产由高墙守护,他们的生命有朋友捍卫。”

          The boy's father was speechless.
          父亲沉默了。

          Then his son added, "Thanks Dad for showing me how poor we are."
          接着,儿子说:“爸爸,谢谢你让我知道我们有多贫穷(悲哀)。”